Friday, March 27, 2009

Maren (Byrnes) Buchanan





Well, after not officially graduating PHS (not enough credits - I was too focused on my favorite class, Slacker 101), I enrolled at UVSC and took a few random classes there (still loving embracing the inner slacker). I met a cool guy, we dated then got engaged and then unengaged, because in 1996 I decided to serve a mission to (unofficial PHS alum mission) Rome, Italy (including: Kirk Richards, Ryan Heaton, Nate Sadowski, Josh Bingham, Seth Jeppsen, Scott Montaoa, Senor Urish's daughter (Marci) from Dixon, probably more... who knows).

In Italy I met a smoking hot elder from Phoenix Arizona, Jason Buchanan. He came up to Utah to go to school in 1998 coincidentally (? - I think not, he was looking to get a chance at the infamous Sorella Byrnes) about the same time I got home from my mission.

We hung out, he dropped me off at my boyfriends house (remember the cool guy I was engaged to premission) - his patience and perisitence wore me down (or vice versa if he is telling the story) and we were married in the Manti temple 1999. We moved to Arizona 4 months later and have been soaking up the sun ever since.

The Arizona sun did a number on me, and I got seriously interested in school. I got my AA & AGS from a local community college in 2001. Then I became a "SunDevil" at ASU and graduated with my BA in English Lit with a minor in Womens Studies, and Undergrad Writing Certificate in 2004. Currently I'm finishing up my thesis and will have my MA in the fall in English, Rhetoric and Composition. Now, I'm thinking I might have to get serious about my writing and maybe finish one of the books I've started, other then that I would love to teach writing. Along the way - I've done a little teaching, worked as a florist, worked at a hotel, and the last 3 years I've taught preschool and tried to (be a not-so-slacker-mom) raise my 3 kids; Paige (7), James (5), and Baby Abbey (8 months). My smoking hot husband works at the hospital in interventional radiology.

We've been married almost 11 years, have 2 dogs, and a long list of dead pets (rats, fish, ferrets etc. - not so good in keeping smaller things alive). We still live in AZ. We go to Disneyland at least 3 or 4 times a year (only 5 hours away & cheap rates at Marriott - you can say no to that). We love visiting Utah & camping with my family every summer. I've become obsessed with sewing and try to sew whenever I get a chance. Me & a few friends created a sewing club and blog about it online (which is actually what I wrote my thesis on). What can I say other then life is crazy, I take on way too much but I'm enjoying the ride.

No comments: