Sunday, March 29, 2009

Troy Jensen



After graduating from PHS I served a full time mission in the Massachusetts, Boston Mission. Then I wandered around in Utah County, did a little UVSC and eventually ended up with a Wife and 3 kids. It’s all kind of a blur. Has it really been 15 years? I still haven’t figured out what I want to be when I grow up (other than hog nasty rich). I’ll let you know when I get it figured out.

For those that want a more detailed version, Here you go…

Immediately after High School I went to work to save for my mission. I served in the Massachusetts, Boston Mission from Feb. of ’95 to March of 97.

Upon returning home I set out to find a wife and get an education. I enrolled at UVSC and began my generals there as a part time student. I always thought things at that point would fall into place. Well, some things did.

I met my wife Marilee(from northern California) in the Summer of ’98 at a dance for my kid sisters student ward. We were Married in January of ’99. We bought a house shortly thereafter in the same neighborhood I grew up in. We started a family. We have Three kids, Raquel (7), Jared (4), and Tyler (1).

School just didn’t work out for me. I’ve always drummed to the beat of my own drums. I was (and still am) disgusted with how liberal and archaic the modern collegiate system is. I had it beat though. I was getting straight A’s. My interests were in American History, Political Science and Economics. But I realized that even the professors didn’t know what they were talking about with Economics, I didn’t want to work in any of the fields Political Science offered and all you can really do with History is teach (I think I’m still a wee bit opinionated). So I quit school.

As far as my own interest are concerned, I’m a dad now and that’s the most important thing to me. I played in a band for tiny bit, I’ve owned a bunch of classic Mustangs (and won many illegal street races!), and a bunch of other juvenile stuff. For the most part I think I’m past that stage. Well, except for the motorcycle. Ok, and I guess there is one more thing. Sikal. It’s a brutal martial art that is not looked highly upon. Have you seen Bourne Identity (the first one), or the new movie Taken? That stuff is real. Much of what you see in those movies is taken from a Filipino art called Kali. There is also Pencak Silat. Sikal is a combination of the two arts (there are only 8 instructors in the world). That’s what I’m learning. It’s not an art for “sparing”, and it’s not an art for the “casual” martial arts student. You get bruised, and can get hurt in the learning process.

No comments: